Jay Sri Ganesh!
Much awaited Ganesh Chaturthi is just two days away and so preparations are in full swing for the pooja in almost all households.
With planning well in hand puja decorations and final touches to the idols are being given. And the ladies are quite busy planning for all from decorations to prasads.
Since years the favourite prasad to the Bighnavinashak are Ladoo and Modaks.
With Ladoos being prepared at home a few days before, modaks is prepared the same day.
Modaks are traditionally rice dumplings made with coconuts and dry fruits filling. Modak is quite similar to the Odia Manda Pitha.
So here is the recipe of Modak which you can prepare at your home and enjoy this Ganesh Pooja:
Ingredients Of Modak
For The Dough
2 cups rice flour
1 tsp ghee for kneading and greasing
3 cups hot water
salt to taste
For The Filling
1 1/4 cups grated jaggery (gur)
2 cups freshly grated coconut
1 tbsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
To make the filling:
- Heat a deep non-stick pan, add the jaggery and cook on a slow flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the jaggery melts, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coconut, poppy seeds and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a slow flame till all the moisture evaporates and the mixture thickens.
- Keep aside to cool slightly.
Then move on to make dough:
- To make the dough, add water, oil, salt and rice flour in a bowl and knead it. You can put some water while kneading as the dough would be hot.
- Make small balls from the dough and keep it aside.
- Roll the balls till smooth in your palms. Take a ball and flatten it with your fingers to a round disc or a shallow bowl shape.
- Now fill the filling and seal the dough and steam it for 15-20 minutes.
- Modaks are ready now to serve Lord Ganesha and your family and friends this Ganesh pooja.