Poda Pitha is the favourite and holds a special place in every Odia’s heart. It is said Raja Festival is colourless and tasteless without Poda Pitha. You can find Podha pitha in every Odia house hold during the Raja Festival. The Pitha is also the favourite dish of Lord Jagannath “The God of the Universe”. In the days before ovens in Oriya households, moms would put the pitha in earthen vessel on top of the dying wooden embers in the night and the dish would be baked nicely by the next day morning. There are different ways of preparation of pita and it differs from one house hold to the other. There are different variations of the pita like Janta Poda Pitha, Lau PodaPitha, and Savoury Podapitha. However, the love for this delicacy is same among all ages of people be it old, young, children. So, here is the recipe of Poda Pitha which you can make in an oven or a pressure cooker:
- 300 gm Rice
- 150 gm Black gram (without outer skin/chopa-chhada biri)
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- 10-15 small pieces of thin coconut slices
- 200 gm Jaggery or Sugar
- 50gm chopped Ginger
- 1 cup of Cashewnut and raisins
- 1 table spoon ghee or refined oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Soak the rice and black gram in water in separate bowls for 4 hours.
- Wash them thoroughly, put the black gram with water in the grinder to form a fine batter.
- Do the same with rice too but keep in mind that the batter should be coarse and not as fine as the batter of black gram.
- Mix both the batters and add baking powder, coconut slices, grated coconut, chopped ginger, salt, sugar & cashew nuts.
- Mix all the ingredients properly and keep it covered for 2 hours for self-fermentation.
- Pre-heat oven for 10 minutes and grease it with ghee.
- Pour the batter into the tray and keep it in the oven. Keep the oven very hot for 30 minutes. Then keep it moderately hot for 30 minutes. It should be checked with a needle and when its colour is golden brown the Poda Pitha is ready to eat.
- Then remove the whole Poda Pitha from the oven and allow it to cool down.
- Your Poda Pitha is done, Now you cut it into small pieces and serve .
If you are using pressure cooker then,
- Pre-heat the pressure cooker and form a thin layer of oil on all the inner surface of the cooker.
- Now pour the mixed batter into the cooker and close the lid (without mounting the whistle-weight).
- Place the pressure cooker in simmer flame for one hour.
- When the cooker comes to normal temperature take out the pitha carefully, and cut it into desired shapes and serve.